- Maintenance Agreements
- Certified by Recycling Association
- Professionally Trained Team
- Top-notch Services!
Add Damping for Soundproof
Sound Proofing Guys would like for you to consider damping these drywall panels with one of several field-applied damping compounds. Some work better than others, and independent lab data shows you get what you pay for here.
After that, you’d turn your attention to the ventilation, lights and doors. All of these are flanking paths for sound to get out of the formidable room you just built. They can be dealt with fairly easily, but you’ll want to design this in. For more detail on Flanking, you can review our article: Dealing with Flanking Noise
Building a Staggered Stud Wallfor Soundproof with Sound Proofing Guys
- - Removed the first layer of drywall from the wall to expose the stud framing. Setup a table saw to rip the 2×4 stud material down.
- - The red boards are 2×1 furring strips we cut down to run around the perimeter of the wall.
- - Cut 2×4 into 2×1 furring strips.
- - Apply Acoustical Sealant to the 2×1 furring strips. You want to make a good seal between the original wall and the newly added 2×1.
- - Position the furring strip into place.
- - Firmly press the furring strip against the bottom plate.You will continue these steps around the perimeter of the wall.
- - Close-up of the newly added 2×1 furring strip.
- - Secure the furring strip with nails every 8-16 inches. Always follow local building codes.
- - Remove the existing wall insulation. If you are lucky you can keep this and reinstall it after the new set of studs are installed.
- - Install the new wall studs 16″ o.c. The new studs will fall in between the current wall studs (so the completed assembly will be 8″ o.c.).
- - Continue installing studs. Since this is a rebuild we are toe-nailing them in place. A nailing gun is always helpful if you have one available.
- - Cut insulation down to fit in between the studs. You want to make sure it fits into place. In this case I cut the insulation into 6.5″ strips.
- - Gently place insulation into the wall cavity. You may wish to use paper faced insulation so you can staple into place.
- - Continue installing the insulation.
- - Top view of the wall framing. The top plate has been removed to show the staggered studs.
So this quit a job, rather call Sound Proofing Guys on 800-593-3340.